DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2016 07:57:26 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249      www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2457735.16
                        "Cogito, ergo sum"
                                   -Descartes

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, December 16, 2016
Quiz XV:  Celestial and Terrestrial Jeopardy

Now, then, Jeopardy is the game show with an distinct format.  (I apologize
for the explanation if you know this already.)   Instead of asking
questions, the show presents answers to three players.    The first player
to strike the buzzer must ask a question related to the answer.   So, for
instance, if the answer is  "This is the most common element in the
Universe," the question would be "What is hydrogen?"    We're calling this
quiz "Celestial and Terrestrial Jeopardy" because it contains questions
about matters on Earth and in the sky.     So, stand up in front of
millions, while I titter condescendingly in the corner because I know all
the answers (provided for me on an index card; or, in this case, found
because I had to look most of them up.)

You earn 200 points for each correct answer.

You lose 100 points for each incorrect answer.

Tell us how you did!

1.    This planet has more known moons than any other.

2.    This is the name of element that has the atomic number of 8.

3.    The phrase "the robbed that smiles steals something from the thief,"
appears in this Shakespearean play.

4.    He composed the "Ode to Joy."

5.   This kind of rock comes from a volcano.

6.   This substance is responsible for making plants green

7.   This circulatory conduit conveys oxygenated blood away from the heart.

8.    The delta of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers (the "cradle of
civilization") is now within this country.

9.     He was the oldest elected president.

10.  This is the name of the triangle that has three sides of equal length.

11.  This famous megalithic structure is located on England's Salisbury
Plain

12.  This constellation contains the "Big Dipper" asterism.

13.  He created the "Jeeves" charcter.

14.  With a population exceeding 33 million, this is the world's largest
city.

15. This English word has 464 definitions, far more than any other.

16.  Founded in 1088, this is considered the first University.

17.  Sherlock Holmes' arch-nemesis, a man Holmes regarded as his
"intellectual equal."

18.  This geometrical shape has twelve sides.

19.  Although credit is sometimes extended to Tesla, he is generally
regarded as the inventor of the radio.

20.  Yes.

QUESTIONS

1.  What is Jupiter?

2.  What is oxygen?

3. What is "Othello?"

4.  Who is Ludwig von Beethoven?    If your question was "Who is Fredrich
Schiller," slap yourself across the face.

5.  What is igneous?

6.  What is Chlorophyll?

7.  What is an artery?

8.  What is Iraq?

9.  Who is Ronald Reagan?

10.  What is an equilateral triangle?

11.  What is Stonehenge?

12. What is Ursa Major?

13.  Who is P.G. Wodehouse?

14.  What is Tokyo?

15.  What is "Set?"

16.  What is the University of Bologna?   (Oxford was founded about a
decade later.)

17.  Who is Professor Moriarty?

18. What is a dodecahedron?

19. Who is Marconi?

20.   You see, you get to choose your own question and if it has a positive
answer, you get 200 points.