DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2019 14:27:00 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/70+Falmouth+Street%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0Portland,+Maine%C2%A0+04103?entry=gmail&source=g>
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2458689.5

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Saturday, August 3, 2019
August 2019 Night Sky Calendar Part II

*THURSDAY, AUGUST 15:  FULL MOON*
Green Corn Moon and Grain Moon are two common names assigned to the August
full moon.  Although we haven't quite reached the time of the harvest moon,
the crops are not only flourishing, but showing greater maturity almost on
a daily basis.    Sometimes the August full moon is known as the "Growing
Night Moon," in reference to the decrease in daylight duration that started
around the solstice and is now becoming horrifyingly noticeable.
 Although the summer warmth hasn't yet retreated southward, we're drawing
ever closer to fall.  For this reason, the Growing Night Moon often
immediately precedes the Harvest Moon, defined as the full moon that occurs
closest to the autumnal equinox.

*SATURDAY, AUGUST 17: MOON AT APOGEE*
The moon reached perigee, its closest distance, on August 2nd.  It will
reach apogee, the point of greatest distance, today.    At the precise
moment of apogee, the moon will be 406,245 kilometers from Earth.
 Thursday's full moon was smaller than most full moons as a consequence of
the moon's greater distance.  Of course, this comparatively diminutive full
moon won't look different than other full moons.  The high tides that occur
around full moon will be lower than usual this month as the moon is farther
away and the tidal forces it exerts on the planet will be commensurately
lesser.

*FRIDAY, AUGUST 23:  LAST QUARTER MOON*

*SATURDAY, AUGUST 24:  MOON NEAR ALDEBARAN*
The winter stars ascend in the morning sky during late summer.   Now that
we're in late August, Taurus the Bull will be well positioned in the
eastern sky a couple of hours before dawn.   Tonight, one will see its
brightest star, Aldebaran, close to the waning crescent moon (39%
illuminated).

[image: HyadesLodriguss_labels.jpg]
The moon will swing by Taurus tonight.  See the waning crescent moon close
to Taurus' alpha star, Aldebaran.

*FRIDAY, AUGUST 30:   NEW MOON*

*FRIDAY, AUGUST 30:  MOON AT PERIGEE*
Well, we're ending August with another super moon, although not a super
"black moon," as the previous new moon occurred at the very end of July.
 However, the moon will be new about 5.3 hours before the moon reaches
perigee, so we can expect higher than usual tides as we'll truly experience
a perigean new moon today!

*PLANET WATCH*

*MERCURY *is best seen early to mid month.  One will find the usually
elusive planet in the eastern pre-dawn sky.  The best time to find the
first world is around August 9th, when it will reach greatest western
elongation.  VERDICT:    The second week of August will provide you with
the best opportunity to see Mercury this month.

*VENUS *is not visible this month.    VERDICT:  Well.... Now, be aware that
Venus will return to the western early evening sky by mid September.  If
the prospect of another autumn engenders despair, be cheerful at the
anticipation of seeing our brilliant sister world in the western evening
sky throughout autumn and even into winter.

*EARTH *(Pick planet!).  Look down...

*MARS *is not visible this month.   VERDICT:   Hmmmm.....We will say,
however, that Mars will return to the early morning sky in October!   Over
the course of the next year, we can watch the red planet growing brighter
and redder as Earth and Mars draw closer to each other.   Mars will next be
at opposition, and therefore at its maximum brightness, on October 13, 2020.

*JUPITER* will be high in the eastern sky by dusk.  See the giant world
passing through the western sky through late evening.  VERDICT:   Though
not as bright as it was earlier this summer, Jupiter still dazzles and will
remain visible until just after midnight.    Jupiter next reaches
opposition on July 14, 2020.

* SATURN *remains in the sky for a longer period than Jupiter, but is
currently about six times dimmer.   The ringed world begins the night in
the southeastern sky and will set by mid morning at month's beginning.
VERDICT: As Saturn is growing dimmer, it is best to seek out Saturn early
in August.