DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:00:00 -0500
TH  SOUTHWORTH  LAN TARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.main.du/ lan t
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Str  t    ortland, Main  04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitud :  10 f  t b low s a  l v l
Found d January 1970
Julian dat : 2458793.16
2019 - 2020:   XLVI

                   PpP       eeeEEeeeeeeeeeee
        [image: 44-444813_vector-horseshoe-magnet-magnet-clip-art-png.png]

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
November 2019 Night Sky Calendar   Part II

*WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2019:  MOON NEAR THE PLEIADES*
The waning gibbous moon (99%) illuminated will appear to pass close to the
Pleiades Star Cluster tonight.      Now that we've entered late autumn, the
Pleiades will be visible all night long.  This cluster is considered the
first of the winter star patterns, heralding the arrival of the cold
season.      As the moon appears nearly full, its light will obscure, but
not entirely wash out, this cluster.

[image: 42-21779782.jpg]
The *Pleiades Star Cluster* located in Taurus the Bull.
Even though this cluster is known as the "Seven Sisters,"
the Pleiades consists of hundreds of stars bound together
gravitationally.  This time exposure photograph reveals the
"Maia Nebula," a gaseous cloud illuminated by the cluster's stars.

*SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 17/MONDAY NOVEMBER 18, 2019:   LEONID METEOR SHOWER PEAKS
 (Gold event!!!)*
Why list two dates?   Simple:   the Leonid meteor shower peaks on the night
of November 17-18th.     As the best time to watch a meteor shower is
between midnight and the pre-dawn, the best viewing will occur on November
18th.

The Leonid meteor shower occurs between November 6 - 30th.  During this
period, Earth moves through a stream of particles released by Comet
Tempel-Tuttle.   When this comet moves through the inner solar system. the
Sun's heat causes the comet's surface ice to sublimate:  transition from
solid to vapor without passing through the intervening liquid phase.  Dust
released from the dissipating ice remains along the comet's path.  When
Earth travels through this stream, many of the meteoroids descend through
the atmosphere.  During their descent, the meteoroids excite surrounding
atoms, causing their electrons to ascend to higher energy orbits. When
these electrons return to their original states, they emit the photons we
perceive as the meteors.

[image: 09nov16_430.jpg]
The *Leonid Meteor Shower*.   Fragments of the Comet Tempel-Tuttle
infiltrate our atmosphere between November 6 - 30.   These descending
meteoroids excite nearby atmospheric atoms by elevating their electrons
to higher energy states.  These electrons emit photons when they
revert to their original states. We perceive these photons as the meteors.
Meteor showers are generally named for the constellation from which
the meteors appear to emanate, hence the name "Leonid."
Image:  EarthSky.org

The Leonid Meteor shower is notorious for producing meteor storms every 33
years approximately.    As its parent comet's swoops through the inner
solar system once every 33 years to replenish the meteoroid swarm along the
comet's path.

On the night of November 17/18, one should expect to see 10 - 15 meteors an
hour.    The waning gibbous moon (74% illuminated) will interfere with
viewing, reducing the number of meteors that observers would otherwise have
seen.

*TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19: LAST QUARTER MOON*

*SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 24:  VENUS 1.4 DEGREES SOUTH OF JUPITER  (SILVER EVENT!!)*
We will see the two brightest planets apparently close together in the
western evening sky tonight. Distinguishing between them shouldn't prove
difficult, as Venus will be almost seven times brighter than
Jupiter.     Both planets will set by 5:45 p.m.

*TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26: NEW MOON*
Beginning of lunation cycle 1199

*THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28: MERCURY AT GREATEST WESTERN ELONGATION (20 degrees)*
Mercury is a rapid mover!  Earlier this month, the elusive little world
moved directly across the Sun from our vantagepoint.   Now, on
Thanksgiving, it will attain its greatest western elongation.  Find it in
the pre-dawn eastern sky.

*THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28:  MOON NEAR VENUS*
Why do we post a specific angular distance when speaking of two planets,
but are more vague when referring to the moon and a planet?    Simply
because the moon moves more quickly than the planets: by about 1/2 a degree
an hour.  For this reason, it doesn't make sense to post an angular
separation value, as it would be valid for only a brief part of the night.
        See the waxing crescent moon (5% illuminated) close to Venus low in
the western evening sky.

*FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 29:  MOON NEAR SATURN*
In case you missed the previous entry:  Why do we post a specific angular
distance when speaking of two planets, but are more vague when referring to
the moon and a planet?    Simply because the moon moves more quickly than
the planets: by about 1/2 a degree an hour.  For this reason, it doesn't
make sense to post an angular separation value, as it would be valid for
only a brief part of the night.    See the waxing crescent moon (11%
illuminated)

*PLANET WATCH*

*MERCURY (Pick planet!) *  Well, of course, Mercury is our pick planet.
After all, this month, we'll experience a transit of Mercury!     Now, it
isn't visible early this month, except for the 5 hours and 28 minutes when
it will migrate across the Sun.  By the third week of November, Mercury
will ascend into the eastern pre-dawn sky.   VERDICT:  Well, first, if you
can find a place (like the Southworth Planetarium) where you can watch the
transit of Mercury on November 11th, do so!  We here in the eastern US will
not see another Mercurian transit until May 7, 2049.    If you want to see
Mercury in the dark sky, wait until the third week of November.  Best date
will be November 18th, when it will be at greatest western elongation.

*VENUS:*   A low, western sky planet.  Still brighter than any sky object,
apart from the Sun and moon, Venus will still be easy to find provided one
ventures outside by 5:15 p.m. to find it.   VERDICT;  One should have no
problem finding Venus in the early evening western sky.

*MARS:*   Red planet in the morning, sailors take...well, they'd probably
just ignore it.   We can find Mars in the early morning eastern sky this
month.  Mars will be low, dim (about as bright as Polaris) and difficult to
find currently.  However, Mars will be rising earlier, growing brighter and
redder as Earth and Mars approach each other.      In October 2020, Mars
will be at opposition, meaning that Earth will pass between Mars and the
Sun.    VERDICT:   If you're out in the early morning, seek out Mars.
 Of course, Mars will become easier to observe throughout the winter and
spring as it moves into a more prominent position.

*JUPITER: * The largest planet is drawing ever closer to the setting Sun.
By mid December, it will vanish into the dusk, only to return to the early
morning eastern sky.    VERDICT:  Jupiter sets earlier each night, so be
sure to venture outside before 8 p.m. to seek out the giant world.

*SATURN: * Saturn is the dimmest of the three planets currently visible in
the western evening sky.   However, it is the last to set, so around
mid-evening, it remains the only planet still visible in the west.
VERDICT:  If you missed seeing Venus and Jupiter, you can still find
Saturn, provided you're out by 9:00 p.m.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER