From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:23:53 -0800
Steve Kariya sets a new NCAA Regional record with 6 points (3 goals and 3
assists) and Maine goes 3 for 5 on the power play as they blow out Clarkson
7-2 to advance to the Frozen Four next week.

Maine, who was struggling coming into the tournament, has really shaken off
the cobwebs and looked like the team that assended to the top of Hockey
East and #2 in the nation earlier in the season.  Maine will be tough for
either BC or North Dakota on Thursday!

A lot has been made of the #2 East seed and the bye, but Maine showed very
little effect from playing the night before and really won the one-on-one
battles all night versus Clarkson, which was key to the game.  In fact, the
lack of a bye helped Maine because I think they really got on track versus
Ohio State Friday and carried that momentum into this game.  This is just
what the doctor ordered!

A couple interesting moments, Maine's 3rd goal was kicked in by a Clarkson
defenseman, and Clarkson's #15 (his name escapes me) had two goals,
including one on a penalty shot to make it 4-2 Maine at the time.  But
Maine scored 37 seconds into the third by Cory Larose (the player who was
called for gloving the puck in the crease causing the penalty shot) to
break the Golden Knight's back.

I know there are plenty of detractors out there for Maine, but we are so
proud of our team in Maine and glad to see them return to the Frozen Four
once again!  People can say what they will, but there is no taking away
what THIS team has accomplished!  Go Blue!

In other action.. BC will setup a great matchup with #1 North Dakota after
beating Northern Michigan 2-1.  Colorado College will meet Michigan State
Sunday as well after beating St. Lawrence 5-2 this afternoon.

Michigan and New Hampshire play at 8:30 for the second ticket to
California!
===
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
1999 UNIVERSITY OF MAINE COMEBACK TOUR!
2 DOWN, 2 TO GO.. DESTINATION: FINAL FOUR!