From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:59:17 -0700
Paula Weston bemoans

>the flap over Brendan Morrison's "best team" comment and
>the snide comments about the new D-I conference

        I'll stay out of the whole Michigan brouhaha while the staying
out's good, but I don't think much too nastiness should be read into
the posts on the new D-1 conference.  The most negative things I've
seen flying around have been silly proposed names, and they seem no
different in tone for those proposed last year for a hypothetical
WCHA/CCHA super-conference.  I certainly think it's an exciting idea,
taking a bunch of schools that have been D-1 in name only and letting
them be part of the club.  And it would be fine by me to give them at
least one automatic berth if the tournament were expanded to 16 teams
at the same time.  Outside of league play, these schools would seem
like natural matches for the Ivies, were it not for the limited number
of non-conference games available to the Ancient Six.  Union and
Merrimack spring to mind as suitable NC oppoenents for new members of
the "major D-1" family.

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions