From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 07:26:21 -0700
Since there seem to be lots of announcements of signings lately I thought
I'd share some information and observations from the latest program of the
Edmonton Ice of the Western Hockey League:

Of course there are other options for hockey players looking to advance
past the midget level.  There is also the U.S. College route.

"For years we've been told that the best option for anyone who had desires
to go to school was go to U.S. college," says [Ice owner Ed] Chynoweth.
"I'm certainly not one to knock U.S. Colleges, I think they have some
great programs.  But it's a very self-serving situation.  In my mind they
put absolutely nothing back into the system.

"They might put something back into a young man's life and give him an
opportunity at education.  They sell the program at a $15,000-$20,000
scholarship, but they don't always tell the truth in whether it's a full
scholarship, half, or three quarter.

"In my mind they could have aided minor hockey in so many ways in Canada.
When they take somebody they put nothing back, they pay for no releases,
offer no assistance.

"We do.  The WHL just recently completed registration of all its players.
With releases and development money the WHL puts well over $100,000 back
into the coffers of the four western (minor hockey league) branches.
We're not looking for a medal, we get development money from the NHL and
have to fund back.

"We don't lose too many high-profile players to the U.S. colleges anymore.
There's no-doubt that the quality of our league is such that most kids
would like to play here."

Still, it takes a special person to be able to commit himself to the
league and education at the same time.

"It requires discipline, focus and requires kids putting some priorities
on," says [WHL Education Consultant Jim] Donlevy.  I've seen too much
evidence to say anything different."

END OF QUOTED ARTICLE

I thought readers south of the border might be interested in this.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! GO ICE!!! GO GOLDEN BEARS (2-0 vs. WCHA)!!!