From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:00:34 EST
>Posted on 31 Jan 1996 at 09:15:32 by Andrew Brecher
>Re: Three for the ECAC?
>
>Didn't it happen in both 1993 and 1994?  (Harvard, Clarkson, and Brown in
>both cases, if I remember right)

No, you remember wrong.

In 1993 Clarkson, Harvard and Brown were picked. None advanced beyond
the first round.

In 1994 Harvard and RPI were picked. Harvard advanced all the way to
the semifinals, before losing to eventual champion Lake Superior.

In 1995 regular season champion Clarkson and playoff champion RPI
participated. Both were automatic picks, and were eliminated in the
first round. Brown probably would have been picked if it had advanced
to the ECAC finals in Lake Placid. I know from reliable sources, however,
that after Brown was eliminated in the semifinals, it was decided that
if Clarkson also won the ECAC playoffs (as the NC$$ evidently hoped),
Vermont have been picked despite having finished fifth in the regular
season, having been eliminated by Colgate in the semifinals, and having
a worse overall record than second-place Brown (which had defeated
Vermont twice in the regular season, including a 6-3 pasting in
Burlington). I guess that for the NC$$ not every school is created
equal.

Luiz F. Valente