From:
Jim Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 11:39:16 -0600
Week after week on MSC we hear Frank Mazoccco, Tom Reid and Doug Woog ask
the question, "Who is better than Bonin?", "Who is better than Bonin?"  I
don't know what games these guys have been watching, but I have the answer
to this: Mike Crowley. This is an absolutely unbelievable player.  Having
closely followed the college careers of Bruce Driver, Chris Chelios, Gary
Suter, Norm McIver, Tom Kurvers, Doug Zmolek, Todd and Travis
Richards,Larry Olimb?- I would say that Crowley as a sophmore, is better
than all those mentioned above at this stage of his career.  This is no
guarentee that he will be a great NHLer, but I think at least 20 pro teams
would rather have the rights to Crowley than Bonin.

As far as the Hobey is concerned, the fact that he is a sophmore will not
help him.  Paul Kariya won as a freshman from Maine, but I recall a
sophmore from UMD by the name of Hull, I think his first name was Ben, who
had a phenominal sophmore season before leaving for the pros, without the
Hobey.

I also don't think you can discount Teeder Wynne who is only four points
behind Bonin in the scoring race for the WCHA.  It is much, much more
difficult picking up points for a .500 team, than a front runner. Although
Nick Naumenko is an excellent defensemen, Bonin has picked up countless
points with Crowley faking out two defenders and laying a perfect cross ice
pass to Bonin on the doorstep.