From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:59:39 -0500
At 11-5-2006 01:28 PM, Anthony Buffa wrote:
>On a more serious note, to get ballpark numbers (scuse me, hockey
>rink numbers) for a cleaning time I would base it on my observances,
>maybe 10 swipes of the length of the rink, maybe 30 sec per swipe,
>so 300 sec or 5 min or so would be reasonable.

Try it another way: your average hockey rink is 200 x 85, or 17,000
square feet, ignoring the radius in the corners.  9 mi/hour is 47,520
ft/hour, or 792 ft/min.  At 6 feet wide (the nominal blade width for
a Zamboni brand resurfacer is 77 inches), our theoretical machine
will resurface 4752 square feet per minute.  At that rate, it will do
our rink in 3.6 minutes.

Taking a more realistic 4.5 foot width, to allow for overlap, and an
average speed of 6 mph, we get just over 7 minutes for a resurface,
which matches fairly well with what actually happens on the rink.

>Sorry to you all for the physics-geekness here.

Nah, no problem.

Joe
RPI '80 '82 (Industrial Engineering)
--