From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 07:10:18 -0500
At 02:29 PM 12-5-2001 -0800, Richard Hungerford wrote:
>Meanwhile over in ECAC-land:
>ECAC DI NORTH
>Brown                                           Colgate
>Cornell                                         Dartmouth
>Harvard                                         Princeton
>St. Lawrence                                    Vermont
>Yale
>
>The ECAC already has 9 of its 12 teams in the Men's league in the ECAC
>North league.  Colgate is showing some early promise within the league.
>
>Union College plans to have a DI Women's varsity side starting in
>2003-2004.
>
>Clarkson and RPI are both thinking about it, but I'd say we are a few years
>off, at least, for both.

Of the schools mentioned here, all but Clarkson, Rensselaer, Saint Lawrence
and Unkon are DI; these four are DIII schools with DI Men's Hockey.  Saint
Lawrence fields a women's DI team in addition to their DI Men's team.  Does
the NCAA's one-sport exemption (the one where a DIII school can carry one
DI sport) apply to both sides of a single sport?

Also,
>Which brings us to Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.  Both have DIII Women's
>teams, and seem to be dancing around the idea for going DI.

SH and HC are DI schools, no?  How can they have a DIII team?  The MAAC had
to go DIAA in football in order to keep their football programs.

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
mailto:[log in to unmask]