From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:08:18 -0500
"Moller, Edward N." wrote:

> Let's suppose that Mike Eaves is the Badgers' pick to replace Jeff Sauer.
> He's a distinguished alum who played for Badger Bob, and has enjoyed success
> in a leadership position at the national development program.
>
> Mike has two sons:  Ben, a sophomore at Boston College; and Pat, currently
> playing for his father at Ann Arbor while having signed a letter of intent
> to enroll at BC in the fall.  If you were his son(s), would you want to risk
> the potential of having to play against your father, or would you say blood
> is thicker than ice and transfer to dad's alma mater?

If I were Ben, assuming I wasn't royally ticked off at BC for some reason, I'd
be thinking, "hmm, if I transfer, I have to sit out a whole year before I could
play... sorry, Dad, love ya, but I don't think I want to sit on the shelf for a
year just so I could play for ya."  Especially if Ben has already played for
his father as Pat is doing now.  Especially especially if Ben is a
"red-shirt" sophomore as opposed to a "true" sophomore (I don't know if he is,
and I don't even know if red-shirting occurs in hockey with anywhere near the
frequency of football -- but if he's already red-shirted, transferring would
cost him a season of eligibility in addition to the year of not playing).

If I were Pat, well, maybe I look into getting out of my letter of intent --
I know this was discussed on HOCKEY-L recently but can't remember what the
procedure was, if any.  I think BC would have to agree to let him go, otherwise
he'd have to sit out a year as well, assuming he could transfer at all.  It's
probably not looked upon very favorably to sign a letter of intent and then say
"oh, wait a minute..."

--
Bill Fenwick                            Email:  [log in to unmask]
Digicomp Research                       Voice:  (607) 273-5900 ext 32