From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:10:35 -0500
Joe Makowiec wrote:

> I saw Friday's game.  LeNeveau turned in a good performance.  As far as
> Underhill goes, there wasn't much point to trying to get him hurt again
> against Union - Cornell wasn't playing for anything much (except maybe
> statistical ranking).

I suspect if Underhill's injury were a minor one, he would have played
Saturday night.  Coach Schafer has mentioned on more than one occasion his
preference for playing one goalie in the playoffs (and he's done so every
season since taking over at Cornell), and while to my knowledge he's never
publicly said which one he would pick this year, Underhill's experience would
presumably have been a major factor in the decision.

No word yet on how severe Underhill's injury is, or even what it is.  Given
that the playoffs are coming up, I'd bet we don't hear anything for quite a
while.

Interesting bit of symmetry... Underhill and LeNeveu have rotated through the
entire season for Cornell, except for two weekends:  the one just past, and
the first ECAC weekend of the year, which saw Underhill play both games when
LeNeveu had the flu.  The opponents that weekend?  Union and RPI.

And I'm gonna cancel my subscription to Sports Illustrated.  The first college
hockey article they've run in, what, a year, and they just HAVE to mention
Cornell's two goaltenders.  Naturally, one of them goes down the week the
article comes out.  Argh...

Bill F.