From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:15:14 -0400
On Oct 21,  1:41pm, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> So what is the definition of a "natural hat trick"?  Is it three
> goals in a row, regardless of period, three goals in succession in
> the same period, or is it just three goals in a period?

The definition I've heard, and the one I've always used myself, is:  three goals
scored in succession by one player, uninterrupted by scores from other players
on either team.  Thus, these two hypothetical hat tricks by Smith of Team A:

Period 1
     TEAM B  Franklin (Peters), 4:15
     TEAM A  Smith (Jones, McDonald), 7:30
     TEAM A  Smith (Jones), 17:50

Period 2
     no scoring

Period 3
     TEAM A  Smith, 5:25
     TEAM B  Robinson (Thompson), 6:45

Smith has a natural hat trick, regardless of the fact that the goals were not
scored in the same period.

Period 1
    TEAM A  Smith (Jones, McDonald), 7:30
    TEAM A  Smith (Jones), 10:50
    TEAM A  Jones (Smith, McDonald), 14:25
    TEAM A  Smith, 17:40

Not a natural hat trick.  Smith scored three times, but Jones' goal after Smith's
second broke up the natural.

Bill Fenwick