GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:39:00 -0400
8bit
Sender:
Maine GeoNews <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Joseph Young <[log in to unmask]>
Joe,

-Ideal (perhaps):

--Leverage the work done by our Federal Government partners at USGS and adopt USGS EarthExplorer and the associated bulk download application.

--Having used and evaluated many data access User Interfaces (UI),  EarthExplore is my favorite as it provides a pleasing user experience and facilitates quickly discovering and obtaining data.

-Real (perhaps):

--In the current web interface the left had quick access pane is good.  The Online Maps & Services with 21 separate links is too much.  For the public and other non-GIS users, it is preferable to present a simple overview map with layers that can be activated/inactivated with radio buttons instead of linking the user to numerous interfaces that are designed and look differently.

--Make the URLs to the OGC services prominent and "up front" for the GIS users.

--Expand the amount of data available via the ArcGIS services directory.

--Require the web designer to count clicks as the web interface is laid out.  Less clicks generally leads to better user satisfaction.

--Keep it simple.  We've only about 10 seconds to grab the attention of the web page viewer (aka customer) before they loose interest and move on to something else.

Sincerely,

Todd Metzler

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: