GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Maine GeoNews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:19:10 -0400
8bit
From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Colleagues,

I hope you're having a fun and rejuvenating summer. It seems to me
that it's going way too quickly!

Save the Date!
Fall is rapidly approaching, so I'm writing to let you know that the
Third Annual Conference of GIS Educators in Maine will be held on
Friday, November 19th, at the Augusta Civic Center from 9:30am to 4pm.
Lunch and snacks will be served. Please mark your calendar and stay
tuned for details!

Given the growing popularity of the event, we're shifting to a larger
venue. This will allow us to have separate tracks for K12 educators
and those who work in higher education, along with large plenary
sessions for educators of all stripes. GIS Educators  and authors
Anita and Roger Palmer are tentatively scheduled to offer hands-on
workshops (most likely GPS activities) and a plenary presentation
(pending confirmation).

Free for Students & K12 Teachers!
As in past years, we have a limited amount of funding to allow K12
educators to attend the conference for free and to help cover their
travel costs and release time. Also, K12 and undergraduate students
may attend the conference for free, and a limited amount of funding is
available to support their travel. There will be space to request
support for students and K12 teachers on the conference registration
forms.

Propose a Workshop, Poster or Presentation!
We are accepting proposals for workshops, presentations and posters
for the conference from educators and students. See the guidelines
below. This is a great opportunity for you to share successful models,
projects and techniques. We've had requests for hands-on Google Earth
workshops, presentations on spatial learning and geospatial literacy,
finding GIS data to use in education, as well as posters of student
work and about GIS education programs in Maine. It's always helpful to
hear about successful projects and collaborations in Maine.

Spread the Word!
Please forward this email to anyone you know who might be interested,
and stay tuned for agenda and registration information coming soon. In
the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions or if you
have a proposal for a presentation, workshop or poster.

Cheers!
Tora

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson
Director/ Instructor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory
Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

Guidelines for Proposed Workshops, Presentations or Posters

If you are interested in proposing a session or a poster, please email
your proposal to [log in to unmask] Include...

- Your name, title, and abstract (250 words max)
- Whether you are proposing a workshop, presentation or poster
- Target audience (K12 or Higher Ed; beginning/ intermediate/ advanced)

See below for additional information and guidelines:

Workshops (up to 60 minutes each, up to two workshops will be accepted
for each track):
Proposed workshops must be hands-on and relevant to the target
audience. Participants must spend the majority of the time working
with software and data on activities which have direct applications in
educational settings. Indicate in your abstract specifically what
hands-on activities participants would engage in; what handouts, data,
software and operating system(s) will be used; and the general
structure of the workshop.

For workshops in the K12 track, activities should be either Mac-based
or platform independent. We will have 12 Mac laptops available, and
participants may also be asked to bring their own Mac laptops, if
appropriate. For workshops for higher education, you may ask for
participants to bring their own laptops or you may use the 12 Mac
laptops provided (equipped with Mac OSX only). We can also provide
handheld GPS receivers and an LCD projector for use during workshops.

Presentations (up to 20 minutes):
Presentations are invited to inform participants about available
resources, present successful models for projects, and provide
instruction on underlying principles such as spatial learning/
literacy. Presentations may incorporate slide shows, printed
materials, demonstrations, discussion, etc.

Posters (up to 48" x 48" printed): Posters are invited on any relevant
topic, but we wish to encourage posters from students, GIS programs at
Maine colleges and universities, and agencies or organizations
offering relevant resources. Posters presenting student work may be
presented by either students or instructors. In addition to wall space
for posters, we will have table space available for hand-outs.

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: