EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:53:55 +0000
7bit
From:
"R. Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Evidence for what? That Pound wrote beautiful poetry? You only accept
'evidence' on your terms. Your approach is very rigid. Many people have
now tried to point this out to you. You have invested a great deal of
time in your Pound studies. No one can reasonably expect you to give up
your working thesis. You ask me for detail. I am not a scholar. I work
70 or 80 hours a week selling books. As you know I am also a poet who
uses many of the techniques of the Cantos. Years ago when my reading was
fresh in my mind, I delighted in dealing with the minutiae of Pound's
work. That is one of the glorious things about Pound and modernism. But
even then my time for study was very limited. Even if I had the time, I
am now more interested in Pound's technique than in recalling the many
references in the Cantos. Also, the subject matter of my own writing is
quite foreign to Pound's as you well know. The material of my own work,
mainly involving the epistemology of science, monopolizes most of my
reading time and then of course there is the writing. If you will secure
me the requisite funds I will close my bookstore. This will afford me
the time to study Pound in detail again as well as pursue my own writing
though I must say doing your kind of exegesis would make me feel more
like a forensic pathologist than a poet. However, I would very much
appreciate not having to haul 60 boxes of books out of an attic on a 98
degree day. You would be my Malatesta, my John Quinn. Short of this I
can only do what my weary body and rotting mind will allow. Your errors
about Pound are not in the detail and will find no resolution there. For
a poet like myself, you quite simply have no feel for Pound's poetry and
in a very real sense I think you are polluting the Pound waters. CP