EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:23:40 PDT
Carlo wrote:
<<
<<  Subject: Re: The inadequacy of the apolitical Confucius
thesis--Confucianism &
         Fascism

Yes. I too am addressing questions only of Pound's Poetry and not
personal inadequacy. The inadequacy actually refers to your excesses of
exegesis. Pound's understanding of Confucius would not be your
understanding hence the inadequacy of your argument through the excesses
of your approach to the Cantos. Your 'excesses' are many . . . .>>  >>

Inadequacy means "not enough", or something "lacking", while "excess" means
"too much."

That seems contradictory to me.

What I have noted in some of your recent posts is a lack of specific
reference to any of the points I am making or to the "excess" of evidence I
am presenting.

Is this because:

1)  You do not wish to present any evidence to counter the quotations FROM
EZRA POUND which I present?

2)  You sense that there is something which might be wrong with the evidence
I am presenting, but have not yet figured out how you might counter it?

3)  You choose, at present, not to think about the specifics?

Or some other reason?

Since this is an Ezra Pound discussion list, it would seem appropriate to
discuss Ezra Pound's words, his writings, his poetry, his biography, his
times, or the implications of his work for world culture.  Rather than
assert that  such and such a  presentation is inadequate or  excessive, it
would be useful to present your own evidence to confront the argument you
wish to refute or question.

This particular strand began when you asked me if I thought Pearlman's
thesis ---regarding the role of Confucius in Pound's work--- was correct.
You presented some very excellent and thoughtful quotes from Pearlman, and I
replied with other quotes from Pound and other scholars who have written on
Confucianism.   I response to my reply you have only asserted that my
approach is inadequate.  EVIDENCE, PLEASE.

Regards,

Wei