GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Contact-twm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Contact-twm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:43:51 -0400
Hello all,

I 'll take a stab and offer opinion regarding the questions Joe has posed.

Yes.  There are regions of our great state where exchanging voluminous content is a challenge.  These conditions warrant the pre- population of the afield technology before going afield and the offloading of data collected afield as soon as connectivity is re-acquired.  Web based solutions alone are unlikely to be a benefit.

Yes.  In areas where there is reliable connectivity then near real time content pull/push can provide the opportunity for efficiency.

Establishing business practices that cover the range of connectivity conditions likely to be encountered permits the use of the web when available and successful afield operations even when it isn't.

Scaling (Aka targeting) GIS services for multiple user platform types is one example of a method used to conserve bandwidth/ limit throughput.

Sincerely,

Todd