EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:37:30 -0400
jonathon,
      my pt would be that these terms,
pre-eminently "anti-semite,"
while politically charged,
are intellectually specious.
bryan's rhetorical construction
of a set of really existing conditions
flows as natural as breathing
from the ethos of the culture in general.
so really the "racial onus" bears not on bryan
or pound/eliot/heidegger/de man...
but western civ,
ie, after all, xian civ,
not in any narrow sense
(bryan's low-brow hard-wired peasants,
or eliots' high-church'rs, 's no matter, eh?)
but as it has been created and interpreted
by the artists and thinkers, heroes and saints,
of the preceding 2k,
and, to crown the absurdity,
actuated along forms
inculcated by thee jewish bk.

anyway, all in gud fun, am sure no buchanan-ista,
and tho this bourgeois lib pc stuff is
pretty generally purveyed in the mid-cult,
serious folk know well
how indistinguishably loathesome
are all the races,
only given the chance
...and as, say, the crime of "israel"
has pretty much absolved us from caring, eh?

in fact bryan (as also pound) stood opposed
to the rich and powerful (at least in the x of gold campaign),
and even in the monkey trial,
he stood with the doomed little-ones,
it seems rather puny of us to attempt
dimishment of that magnificence,
with some forced reading.

natheless, jonathon, appreciate yer lite touch,
and the breadth of your resumen,
but which has rather the effect of
highlighting the inevitable inner dillemmas
of the engage',
as opposed to the ivory tower intellect, no?

bob