EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Freind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:22:33 -0400
At 02:15 PM 9/24/99 -0400, bob scheetz wrote:
>bill,
>    well there're lotsa levels of irony in that scenario,
>but they're none of mine.
>merely wished to illustrate that terms as "anti-semite"
>are instrumenta of political power,
>ie social manipulation,
>and ultimately, of course,
>who gets the money;
>and so pretty useless for our purposes.

You lost me here: the *term* anti-Semite is an instrument of political
power? Anti-Semitism is an instrument of political power, especially as
Buchanan and others use it: as a way of finding a scapegoat against which
the "common-people" can unite. I think it was Charles Maurras who said that
anti-Semitism is such a wonderful thing that if it didn't exist someone
would have to invent it.

>thence buchanan is an "anti-semite"
>quod he opposes gatt and israel
>...quod big bidness and aipac
>have a mutual interest in destroying him
>...and nothing to do with his actual race-thinking.

I don't use the words "racist" or "hate-monger" lightly, but they both
describe Buchanan pretty well. Examples: highly placed campaign workers
attending Christian Identity meetings, suggesting that the Founding Fathers
had the right approach to gays: "Lock and load," voicing skepticism over
whether the gas chambers could really have killed many Jews, etc. etc.

And now his new book which (supposedly) claims the US should have let
Hitler have Europe.

Not only is Buchanan an anti-Semite, he's an old fashioned, 1930's
anti-Semite. He and Fr. Coughlin would have got on wonderfully.