EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:46:50 +0300
>> There are Jews, there is senate etc. There was once civilization in USA.

CC> I took Charles Moyer's parody as an unfortunate slip -- more
CC> unfortunate because on a Pound list -- but hardly a casus belli.
CC> But this post *does* strike me as anti-semitic. Most of it is
CC> simply unconstruable in the present context, but until someone
CC> can give me a better construction I will take it as suggesting
CC> that the presence of Jews in the Senate is somehow connected
CC> to the disappearance (alleged) of civilizaiton in the the US.
I'm  sorry  if  it  does strike you so, but these are just statements.
Everything  is  somehow  connected with everything, and you don't know
how,  unless  you  investigate.
I've just been recalling some passages from Guide. I don't think Pound
was  anti-semitic.  At  least  in  what  I've read of him. There _are_
nations  and  they  _are_  different.  There are  _no_ bad nations and
there are no _good_. There is no good nation of _all civilized people_.

Everyone has a fortune of his own and a history of his own and a duty of
his   own.   You   cannot   exchange  these  things. Personally I feel
someway  oppressed  by,  let  us  say,  Jews. There is a great deal of
toleration  of  usury, of perversion of information, of destroying the
libraries in my country &whenever I rub -- comes the same thing. There
are  people  here  working  on  the  reform  which will damage Russian
language,  there  are  people  who  publish  just  _insane_ books full
of   _enormous_ libel on all the Russian culture, &the students of the
state  university  have  to  read these books. There are bad poets who
want  the  blood  of the good poets. There are people who publish very
badly translated books (as for example, translation of the same Guide,
consisting  really  of  the  six  chapters,  cut and mixed, and with a
comments  telling  about Propertius living in the 12 cent. B.C. -- for
two editions).

All right with the world.              (BTW, can anyone remember
                                        the   Joyce's  verse  on  the
                                        same?)

I  believe  that Charles is not a blind person. I believe that P.C. is
mostly  instrument of oppression. I do not believe USA to be civilized
country   (one   needs  not go to Florida to say this). I _do_ feel in
the  words  of  Mr. Pearlman the spirit of the bloody oppression. I do
feel  that  the  word  anti-semitism  is  merely  a  slogan he uses to
distract attention and to rise as much public hate as he can.

I _do_ suspect he's not a good scholar.