EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Pawel Karwowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 13:05:57 +0200
On Tue, 30 May 2000, En Lin Wei wrote:

> Such an analysis might require the serious consideration of these
> propositions:
>
> 1.  That an understanding of China is essential to an understanding of Pound

I would say understanding of Provance is even more significant. WCW has told
about E.P. "this is the best damned ear ever born to this language". I think he
was right - Pound recognized tree kinds of poetry : logo, pheano and melopoeia.
Simiraliry among great poetical traditions he underscored : Chinese, Provencal
and Greeko-Roman. Just read E.P. essays, ABC of reading and Spirit of romance
and you will find everything you want.

(BTW. short info : "Spirit of Romance" by Ezra Pound - first translation into
polish by Leszek Engelking right now in bookstores all around my country).

> 4.  That Pound’s desire to see Fascism victorious over Communism and
> Capitalist “democracy” --in the West and the East ---   is one central facet
> of his work.

Well I dont know the whole Cantos because I have to first translate a Canto for
myself and for 99 % of the job I am busy with melody, with melopoetical aspect
of text. Anyway Canto I, II, III, VI, IX, XIII, LIII, LXXIX and those pieces of
C. VIII, XVII and other I know have nothing common (especially early Cantos)
with Fascizm. In C LXXIX one can find sentence "and Petain not to be murdered
14 to 13 after six hour discussion" - clear symphaty to the french marschall, but...

...but I do not take Pound's political opinions seriously. Mr Maciej
Slomczynski - congenial "Ulysses" translator and my best prof. in Cracow - who
alas has died 2 years ago met with Pound in Italy in 60-tees and I remember
very well that for Mr Slomczynski's question about Holocaust  (that was
something like "but Mr Pound above 6 million people was poisoned in gas
chambers to death")  E.P. answer was " Thats very, very good" - well you see
hands fell down, I mean such a statement is for me absolutely
uncomprehensible. Personally I like very much Pound when he writes poetry or
about poetry - he is the best in that area. But in my opinion his state of mind
at the end of his life wasn't healthy for sure.

Pawel Karwowski
Wroclaw/ Breslau

P.S. For possible answers for my posts wait please until next weekend.
Thank you.

    WYGRAJ odtwarzacz MP3 Daewoo Magic w KONKURSIE Magazynu WWW
http://www.www-mag.com.pl/cgi-bin/konkurs0001/rm.pl?i=00-05-22dk01ko