EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:58:48 +0000
Louis:

Just to try to set the record straight, are you really referring to the
silent film Die Nibelungen of 1924, directed by Fritz Lang, screenplay by
Thea von Harbou, (in two parts: Siegfrieds Tod, and Kriemhilds Rache) ??

There's a very good recent book dealing with The Nibelungen, called Richard
Wagner, Fritz Lang and the Nibelungen: The Dramaturgy of Disavowal, written
by David J Levin, 1998.

Those interested in story structures where history and myth are intended to
conflate might be interested in this book.

The attempt at Historical Epic was central to Lang at that point, and his
next film (1926) was the much more famous Metropolis, which is now generally
called the first Science Fiction film.

Michael