EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:29:26 -0500
To Jonathon Morse:

I would like to thank you for the nine points you succinctly make.

There appears to be difficulty in accepting Pound's racism, and the
effects of racism, without feeling that his stature as a major poet of
the twentieth century is diminished.

But, frankly, should we not expect the work of a major poet of this era
to have a relation to racism, war, economic organization and injustice?
And, potentially at least, is not the poet who seeks historical
justifications of his or her position not the more interesting? Is that
not the Cantos?

It's not that the major poets are right. (Does anyone seriously think
Homer or Milton were "right"?) It is that their work, in important
respects, represents the complexities and desires of their age, while
resonating in its craft and "voice".

Michael