EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 06:22:13 -0400
Burt,

I've written to you about this before, but without receiving a
reply. I hope that, this time, I've sent my post to the right
address. I want to post the following reply to a message from the
Pound list; could you please forward it, and grand me permission
to post to this fascinating listserv?

Thanks,

Daniel Zimmerman
Professor
Middlesex County College
Edison, NJ

Bob,

"Narcissism" seems too personal and too pejorative a judgment.
Pound appears,
rather, to embody two antagonistic but often ourobotic/symbiotic
impulses:
iconoclasm and idolatry. Perhaps his appetite for the ganzwelt
amalgamated
[often blurred] the um-, the mit-, the eigen-? Great men did once
tread [others
attest it] an earth now gone, perhaps, too spongy to sustain
them.

[I asked my English Composition students, a few years ago, to
name their heroes.
After five minutes of dead silence, one tentatively said:
"The Pope?" Another said "Nobody qualifies." None had read *any*
of the writers
mentioned in _The ABC of Reading_ or (with the possible exception
of eec)
_Confucius to Cummings_].

Let me suggest [with Bloom] that every reader reads first as a
poet manque;
most--unlike Pound--never surpass themselves. You seem to object
that Pound
never surpassed Pound; since he himself confessed as much in his
last Canto, you
appear to beat a dead horse, rather than to thrill at his
steeplechases.

Remember: charity begins at poem.

Best,

Dan Zimmerman

bob scheetz wrote:

>> doesn't everything about ep point to raging narcissism?
>> the great man/poet thing, the sequence of picturesque personae
>> beginning with bertran, mandarin, jefferson/adams, etc
>> ...the impregnable self-assurance,
>> ...luxuriating in self-fantasy, exhibitionism,
>> and poetry qua self-promotion?
>> ...the imperviousness to umwelt & mitwelt,
>> except qua stage and audience?
>>
>> is ep the laureat of the age of narcissism?
>> the cantoes a kinda lotus-eater-land poetry,
>> wherein all we can indulge
>> our personal poet manque narcissism?

Inquiry_ 14
>> >(1987): 134-41, William M. Chace writes:
>> >
>> >"[A] blend of compassion and outright annoyance characterizes
the attitudes
>> >of a great many of Pound's acquaintances over the years. As
early as the
>> >1920s in Rapallo, his visitors and correspondents, among them
Ernest
>> >Hemingway, W. B. Yeats, and James Joyce, tended to note the
same thing: the
>> >poet was embarrassingly self-congratulatory, impervious to
advice or
>> >criticism of even the mildest kind, and high-handed in every
regard.
>> >Hemingway wrote that the poet 'makes a bloody fool of himself
99 times out
>> >of 100 when he writes anything but poetry.' Archibald
MacLeish, later to
>> >rally to Pound's assistance, reported early on that he was 'a
bit fed up
>> >with the Ezraic assumption that he is a Great Man.' Joyce saw
him as a
>> >fellow writer who turned up 'brilliant discoveries' but also
'howling
>> >blunders.' Over the years, Pound put all his friends to the
test, the test
>> >of complying with his wishes, agreeing with his findings about
all matters
>> >under the sun, and surrendering their will to his. It was a
strong will,
>> >but in the end it overwhelmed none of his friends. Those
closest to him,
>> >particularly Williams, who had known him longer than anyone
else, did not
>> >give in but watched with dismay: 'This ain't the old Ez I used
to know,'
>> >Williams wrote in one of the most charged of his letters.
'You're in the
>> >wrong bin. Your arse is congealed. Your cock fell in the
jello. Wake up!'"
>> >(136-37)
>> >
>> >Chace draws all his examples from Torrey's _The Roots of
Treason_.
>> >Williams' letter is dated April 7, 1938.
>> >
>> >And this is the same issue of _Critical Inquiry_ that contains
Conrad L.
>> >Rushing's "'Mere Words': The Trial of Ezra Pound" and Richard
Sieburth's
>> >"In Pound We Trust: The Economy of Poetry / The Poetry of
Economics." How