EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:20:22 -0500
>You seem to object
>that Pound
>never surpassed Pound; since he himself confessed as much in his
>last Canto, you
>appear to beat a dead horse, rather than to thrill at his
>steeplechases.

dan,
     there's more' n a touch a  theatre to ole ez, tho,  eh?
hubris,...the sparagmos of the tiger cage/trial/bughouse,
and then (as you say) a self-recognition (maybe),
...the collonus anti-climax
...complete with women...nso on.

trouble is the nagging suspicion itz not attic but hollowood.
and ep's jazz,
an unintended metaphor
for merkan  superficiality,
(the iconoclasm seems too wholesale/subjective to qualify,
the idolatry, too reactionary)
and western pomo (unbearable-lightness-of-being) nihilism
...gainst which some (eliot) opposed a hand;
others, trafficked.

bloom must be neo-kantian,
dismissing  ari & co
(also the psalms/proverbs author)...eh?
not clear how the otherness of text
could ever really originate in self...?

anyway,  just the tentatives
of a perplexed and frustrated beginner
flailing for that arch-trope, ep's ganzwelt
...grateful for any toehold.

thanks,
bob