EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:36:21 GMT
I agree there are aspects of Pound's character that are distinctly
narcissistic. The narcissism is evident in the early poems (though not, to
my mind, in Propertius or Cathay); Mauberley takes a self-critical glance at
this kind of self-regarding poesy, as the aesthetic style of the '90s is
brutally rebutted by the War. Oddly, I don't see the Cantos as a
narcissistic poem at all. Pound was aiming rather higher than mere
"self-expression" and fantasy.

Whilst Pound the man clearly held a high opinion of himself in many
respects, he was not prone to praising his own work and was unusually
selfless in the pursuit of recognition for others. This observation is of
course a commonplace in discussions about Pound but it is nonetheless true
and we should not lose sight of it.

It seems to me that a reader who is determined to indulge his or her own
"personal poet manque narcissism" will succeed in doing so whatever
particular poet he or she happens to be reading. I don't see how Pound's
work can be said to lend itself particularly to that kind of abuse. Surely
the work of, say, John Berryman is a far richer source of titillation for
the narcissistic poet manque than Pound's is.

When exactly did the "age of narcissism" begin? 4000 BC?

Richard Edwards