EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Everett Lee Lady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:10:28 -1000
I just realized that I made another error.  As stated, I recall Pound
saying sometime, probably 1957, that he had decided on a policy of not
accepting any new regular visitors at St. Elizabeths unless they had read
two of the slim volumes published by the Square Dollar Press.

In fact, the books in question were the one by Del Mar and Fenellosa's
famous memoir on the Chinese written character as a medium for poetry.
I was incorrect in saying that the second volume was the ANALECTS of
Confucious.

Incidentally, this choice is a further indication of the fact that, as
far as I knew anyway, the regular visitors at St. Elizabeths were not
divided into two camps, a political one and a literary one.  All visitors
were expected to acquire some knowledge of the things Pound considered
politically important (mostly consisting of books written at least fifty
years previously) and also expected to have at least some interest in
literature.

Pound's conversation often contained anti-semitic remarks, but I can't
remember his ever recommending any anti-semitic literature.  I think that
he would have been more likely to recommend that people read Leo
Frobenius.

--Lee Lady    <Http://www2.Hawaii.Edu/~lady/>