EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 02:45:53 -0700
Speaking of ep & Russia. In a 1931 newspaper article
ep tells an anecdote about Pound's anecdote about
Tret'jakov. I looked him up: Sergej Michajlovic
Tret'jakov, futurist poet, playwrite, essayist.
Arrested 1937. Died 1939. "Rehabilitated" 1956.

The anecdote is a cheap crackerbarrel attempt at humor
 comparing Tret'jakov's communal activities in Russia
with Henry Ford's assembly line as contrasting ways of
dealing with the masses.

Does anyone know why ep was interested in Tret'jakov
in 1931? Had T visited Italy? Does anyone know
anything more about Tret'yakov than what I've gleaned
from dictionaries?

Wayne

--- Alexander Schmitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Just a note in passing:
>
> As early as 1963 EP's German translator Eva Hesse
> had put tother EP's writings on
> the No, Fenollosas essay on the Chinese character
> and Eisenstein writings into
> one volume. I even remember that somebody had talked
> or written about some
> connection between EP and Maxim Gorki, referring to
> a kind of poetological
> triangle EP - Eisenstein - Gorki. But still I can't
> remember much having been
> written on EP and Russia...
>
> alex

===