EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:28:56 -0400
Robert,
Though a similar anti-bourgeois theme appears in Pound's famous translation of "The Seafarer," in his rendering of the Anglo-Saxon poem there is none of the double-edged criticism we find here in the poem "Further Instructions," where the phrase "our baser passions" refers, I think, to his envy of the safe and the sinecured, to his own "sour-grapes" attitude with its admixture of inferiority-complex. By the end of the poem, the flip-side of that complex
emerges -- a "we'll show them" bravado in his promising to clothe his youngest child -- his newest song-- in the fine silks of the exotic imagination:

    I will get you a green coat out of China
    With dragons worked upon it,
    I will get you the scarlet silk trousers
    From the statue of the infant Christ in Santa Maria Novella
    Lest they say we are lacking in taste,
    Or that there is no caste in this family.

And we find him sitting on the Dogana's steps.

Tim Romano