EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:52:15 -0500
I agree with you that there is some comfort in the Pisan cantos, and some kind of wispish meloncholy elevating beauty in the Drafts and Fragments--and I have been compelled into admitting that different people find their comforts in different ways--but the Cavalcanti translation? The Tuscan intellectualized version of courtly love, of fin amours?  Man, that would be cold and confusing comfort for me. Cavalcanti and to some degree, his friend Dante approach love in much the same way that Pound suggests his Mauberly approaches work--from the vantage of pure aesthetics--so that they pass by, "inconscient, full gaze," the women whom they would adore.
   But thank-you for a reply--and I gladly admit that in many ways, each of us finds a different Cantos.

>>> Eric Wagner <[log in to unmask]> 08/27 1:00 PM >>>
In a message dated 8/25/99 6:41:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,