EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:24:40 +0100
From:
"R.L. Beasley" <[log in to unmask]>
I wonder if anyone can help me with two queries.

1.  When was 'Swinburne, A Critique' written?  It's included in Collected
Early Poems, under the Miscellaneous Manuscripts section, but I can't find
any (even unofficial) date for it.  (I'm having problems getting through
to the Beinecke catalogue on-line, though I'm not sure whether it would be
able to help me on this one anyway.)

2. I've been trying to find the correct reference for a comparison Pound
made between Picabia's and Dante's work. He wrote: "there is a very
clear exteriorisation of PicabiaÕs mental activity; of a mental
sensitivity of a kind, let us say, which distinguished DanteÕs
discrimination of the qualities of brightness in the Paradisio from the
thicker emotional qualities of the Inferno.Ó  I've read this in Richard
Sieburth's Dada Pound article, and Vincent Sherry's EP, WL, and Radical
Modernism.  Both give the reference as:	 ÒParisian Literature.ÓLiterary Review
[of the New York Evening Post] 13 August 1921: 7. But in the Contributions
to Periodicals volume the page which purports to be Pound's contribution
to the Literary Review on the 13 August 1921 doesn't contain this passage.
Does anyone know whether perhaps the Contributions to Periodicals volume
has only printed half an article or something?

Sorry to give you all such dull fodder, but I'd be very grateful for help.
Best wishes,
Rebecca Beasley.