ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:11:10 EST
Deron wrote, in part..
>- Someone told me at the game that someone (student?) threw an object
>through the windshield of the UNH bus when it arrived at the game.  Does
>anyone have anymore information?

   I've been told a windshield of a bus was broken.  Perhaps the person
   thought it was the UNH bus and that rumor did circulate, but I was
   later told by two sources (security and bus company) that it was the
   Bangor to Aroostook County bus. :-(  I won't describe the despicable
   offender as either a Maine fan or a student.  He certainly wasn't
   representative of the great couple of thousand students in attendance
   Friday night!

>- What a great atmosphere last night.  I was up in the balcony and I can
>tell you that it was quite loud up there to the point where my wife and I
>often had to yell to each other to be heard, especially in the first period.

   Yelling at your wide is generally not good!  ;-)

>The crowd was really into it.

   Loudest ever, IMHO.

>     ... Dustin Penner's goal in the first period was a great individual
>move and shot.  He also had a goal disallowed in third period where he
>picked a corner.  I thought it was in from my view, but I have not seen a
>replay.  ...

   The goal judge thought it in, too.  You had a great angle from your
   position, Deron, but I thought the TV replay was "almost conclusive"
   in showing the shot hit the post, deflecting back at the UNH goalie,
   and deflecting again out toward the slot.

>Tonight's game is huge and a win would help us tremendously in the league
>picture and since UNH is a likely "Team Under Consideration" for the NCAA
>Tournament, we'll win the season series with a win tonight.  ..

   Not necessarily.  We could still face UNH in the HEA playoffs, and
   those games count toward NCAA rankings also.

Great weekend for Maine hockey!

P.S.  At the Women's basketball game earlier today, Maine honored over
      160 scholar athletes in an impressive ceremony at half-time.  Of
      particular note to Maine hockey fans: Frank Doyle received a big
      hug from Nonni Daly at centercourt as this year's Dean Smith Award
      winner as the premiere male scholar athlete at Maine.
      Congratulations, Frank!