ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:05:05 -0500
Hey everyone,

I was lucky enough to be in attendence at last nights game and here are some
random notes:

- Someone told me at the game that someone (student?) threw an object
through the windshield of the UNH bus when it arrived at the game.  Does
anyone have anymore information?

- What a great atmosphere last night.  I was up in the balcony and I can
tell you that it was quite loud up there to the point where my wife and I
often had to yell to each other to be heard, especially in the first period.
The crowd was really into it.

- UNH really didn't handle Maine well at all in the first period.  Maine
really came out and used their speed and hard work to create all kinds of
chances. Dustin Penner's goal in the first period was a great individual
move and shot.  He also had a goal disallowed in third period where he
picked a corner.  I thought it was in from my view, but I have not seen a
replay.  At the time the game was 5-1 and that seemed like it really
wouldn't matter... almost did!!

- I really liked the play of Maine's defensemen in the first 2 and a half
periods.  UNH had the highest scoring offense in Hockey East games if I am
not mistaken, and we really did shut them down until the very end.  If our d
plays with that kind of effort each night we will win a lot of games.

- In case you didn't see the details, Maine was up 5-1 with 4+ minutes to
play and won 5-4.  Here is what happened.  UNH pulled Ayers and put in their
backup goalie. At that point I felt like UNH stopped playing, and Maine
created numerous great chances, but did not convert.  UNH would call
timeout, I believe it was after UNH made it 5-2 on Saviano's second goal,
but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, at that point UNH wanted to send a
message and the Black Bears simply felt the game was over and put on a
digusting effort.  They were turning the puck over in their own zone like
crazy, making blind passes on the breakout and just not paying attention.
UNH made it 5-3 and then pulled the goalie with about a minute left.  Jon
Jankus then took a very ill advised slashing penalty that allowed UNH a 6x4
advantage, which they capitalized on to make it 5-4.  UNH *did* have a shot
at the tie, but Maine was able to keep the puck out of it's net.  As I was
speaking to another list member at the game last night and we agreed, that
as young as this team is we are very happy with the progress.  This is a key
example of lessons that need to be learned.  A good team (UNH) will not stop
coming and a good team (Maine?) must close the door in the third period.

- I think the meltdown in the third will HELP Maine tonight (Saturday).  The
effort in the final four minutes was reminescient of the effort in previous
Saturday's after a big win.  Beat BU 8-4, sleepwalk the next night lose 1-0,
as an example.  At 5-1 Maine felt like they didn't have to put the effort
anymore, and had they not had these breakdowns that might have been the way
they came out Saturday.  I think Maine will be more hungry and willing to
put in the work that put them in front.  However, UNH will also play better
Saturday night, so Maine better be ready to put in a top effort for.. 60
minutes (not 56).

- I love the Maine freshmen, especially Dustin Penner and Michel Leveille up
front.  I think there is a lot to be positive about for the future of Maine
hockey.  This is really the first of Whitehead's recruiting classes that I
can truly say I like.  I realize Grant has been there the whole time, but I
really like how they filled the holes left by last year's upperclassmen.

Tonight's game is huge and a win would help us tremendously in the league
picture and since UNH is a likely "Team Under Consideration" for the NCAA
Tournament, we'll win the season series with a win tonight.  GO BLUE!

-Deron