EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:47:43 EST
 <A HREF="http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/ethics/war/buddhism.shtml">Click here: BBC - Religion & Ethics of War</A>

Buddhism and violence
Buddhism, like the other great faiths, has not always lived up to its
principles - there are numerous examples of Buddhists engaging in violence
and even war:
in the 14th century Buddhist fighters led the uprising that evicted the
Mongols from China

in Japan, Buddhist monks trained Samurai warriors in meditation that made
them better fighters

In the twentieth century Japanese Zen masters wrote in support of Japan's
wars of aggression. For example, Sawaki Kodo (1880–1965) wrote this in 1942:
> "It is just to punish those who disturb the public order. Whether one kills
> or does not kill, the precept forbidding killing [is preserved]. It is the
> precept forbidding killing that wields the sword. It is the precept that
> throws the bomb."

In Sri Lanka the 20th century civil war between the mostly Buddhist Sinhalese
majority and the Hindu Tamil minority has cost 50,000 lives.

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

Constant apprehension of war has the same tendency
to render the head too large for the body.  A standing military
force with an overgrown executive will not long be safe.
companions to liberty.  -- Thomas Jefferson

"America is a quarter of a billion people totally misinformed and disinformed
by their government. This is tragic but our media is -- I wouldn't even say
corrupt -- it's just beyond telling us anything that the government doesn't
want us to know."

Gore Vidal