EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:07:02 -0500
Jon,
I'd prefer to discuss this poem (or any poem) with you when you weren't
relying upon vague recollections. The Wanderer depicts the psychological
trauma of a bloody massacre within the framework of Boethian philosophy
(his Consolation of Philosophy was the most widely read book in medieval
Europe).  As you'll recall, Boethius, by order of Emperor Theoderic, the
Arian Barbarian, had his skull slowly crushed by iron bands which were made
to close around his head ever more tightly. 'Mutability' is not the mot juste.

The poet of The Wanderer, btw, *is* the "original poet"; they're one and
the same; The Wanderer is not an oral-lay but a tightly constrained
*literary* work that uses the formalities of chiasm and numerical
compositional constraint as a sort of checksum to guard against unfaithful
transmission in an age when poems were copied out by hand or memorized. The
deciding factor in determining whether a work from this period is
'literate' as distinct from and 'oral' is not whether pen and ink were used
during its composition, and not whether pen and ink were used in its
transmission, and not whether oral-formulae are employed, but the fact that
the poem as it stands is a "perfected" work that does not admit of any
alteration, loss, or accumulation of new detail without violence to its
form. There was, in fact, a bit of doggerel insinuated into the manuscript
by some windbag, probably a 10th c. Benedictine, and those few lines of
platitude stand out as would an Ogden Nash couplet in "Exile's Letter".

Tim Romano