EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:47:49 -0700
Charles

My reference to the Anglican clergyman was in reply to a question concerning
Eliot and the English concept of  "Parish".  I had earlier suggested that
the idea of "Parish" had much to do with Eliot's conversion.  I was asked to
enlarge upon the concept of "Parish".  I admitted to ignorance but offered
to provide reference to an expert.  The English "Parish" is a very
appropriate subject for an Anglican Priest.  It had nothing to do with
Weston or even directly with Eliot's Christianity.

We must not be reading the same Weston.  I find that virtually her whole
argument is concerned with finding and showing the Pagan origin of the Grail
legend.  Weston would have been the first to acknowledge Christian
borrowings from the Grail legend.  Her point was that the actual origins
were not in Christian mystery but in Pagan mystery.  You chose to excerpt a
few occult passages which only serves to demonstrate the large amount
occultism which is present in her writings.  I do not think that your
excerptions challenge my reading of Weston intentions in any way.

I suggest "The Waste Land and Jessie Weston: A Reassessment" by Leon Surette
(Twentieth Century Literature volume 34 number 2, page 223)

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM