EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Pierre Joris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:06:43 -0500
On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 10:49  AM, Vito, Derrick wrote:

> And I'm not sure what you mean by Stan not making it to Europe much,
> but
> in France (just for an example) he has a similar celebrity (on a
> perhaps
> smaller scale) to Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick and Michael Snow. Of
> course, this may be recent celebrity, as I believe you allude to it not
> being prominent during Mr. Pound's life.

I think it is somewhat more recent & still more "underground"- &
certainly nothing like that of Allen, Kubrick or Snow.
The Musée de Beaubourg did organize a retrospective of Brakhage films 4
years ago -- well done (Stan couldn't come, unhappily) & given his
connections with poetry I was asked to curate a poetry event for that
festival -- brought over Robert Creeley, Robert Kelly & Ken Irby
(Poundians indeed) who are all poets SB has close connections to. A
sequence of lovely events, well-attended readings & panels & all that,
but nothing like, say, the public response of a new Allen movie
opening. Pound didn't come up during those days, as far as I can
remember, at least not directly in any connection with SB.

Pierre
Pierre Joris
6 Madison Place         And they call reading a sin, and writing is a crime.
Albany NY 12202         And no doubt this is not entirely false.
h: 518 426 0433         They will never forgive us for this Somewhere Else.
c: 518 225 7123
o: 518 442 40 85                                                                -- Thomas Bernhard
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.albany.edu/~joris/