EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 09:37:57 -0500
Tim Romano wrote:

> Here is another example from Canto 2:

> And, out of nothing, a breathing, hot breath on my ankles,
> Beasts like shadows in glass, a furred tail upon nothingness.
> Lynx-purr, a heathery smell of beasts, where tar smell had been,
> Sniff and pad-foot of beasts, eye-glitter out of black air.
> The sky overshot, dry, with no tempest,
> Sniff and pad-foot of beasts, fur brushing my knee-skin,
> Rustle of airy sheaths, dry forms in aether.

Reading this bothered me and sent me to the text, where I find

And, out of nothing, a breathing,
          hot breath on my ankles,
Beasts like shadows in glass,
          a furred tail upon nothingness.
Lynx-purr, a heathery smell of beasts,
          where tar smell had been,
Sniff and pad-foot of beasts,
          eye-glitter out of black air.
The sky overshot, dry, with no tempest,
Sniff and pad-foot of beasts,
          fur brushing my knee-skin,
Rustle of airy sheaths,
          dry forms in aether.

A couple lines down I find

Ribs stuck fast in the ways,
          grape-cluster over pin-rack
          void air taking pelt.

Here two lines in a row are indented.

Now in Canto 55 (leafing through the text randomly) I find

And they used paper notes when coin was too heavy for
                                                  transport

The "transport" clearly seems to be part of the preceding line, dropped
a line only because the line was too long for page. But in Canto 2 are
not the indented lines separate lines -- doesn't the formatting on the
page make a difference?

Carrol