EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
FR Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 11:12:56 -0400
Hello,

I read something in the NY book review speaking of Ezra Pound's advice
to poets.  I understand the difference between definition and description,
but this "presentation vs description" I find difficult to visualize in
sentence structure.  I would like to see two paragraph examples of how words
are layed out to comply with this strategy.

New York Times Book Review of Kathleen Norris book Amazing Grace:
"Asked to preach for the first time, Norris heeds Ezra Pound's advice to
poets to present rather than describe their experience. This strategy also
works in 'Amazing Grace,' a book whose hospitality extends not just to
Christians or religious seekers, but to anyone drawn by what its author
celebrates as 'a living word.'"

Frances Ruth