EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 07:16:20 -0400
Bob,

I do accept your restatement as an improvement upon my "product and
reflection of his times" -- it is more specific and emphasizes the crisis of
the 'thirties. We do have to keep in mind the nature and severity of these
crises when reading Pound. On the other hand, "engage' posture" -- though an
apt description of Pound's aggressive confrontational stance -- might
obscure the notion of the "passive observer" in the quote that I didn't have
to hand, namely, that regardless of what the artist's agenda happens to be,
and regardless of what he thinks he is accomplishing,  he cannot help but be
a "true" reflector of his milieu as long as he reports candidly. Pound was
both an idea-into-action and an action-into-idea artist. I dwell on this
point only because I recall that at one point in my life, when I broached
the subject of doing a dissertation on Wyndham Lewis, the professor to whom
I was speaking replied aghast, "But what about his politics?!" He had, I
think, lost sight of the dual nature and therefore timeless value of even
the most engage' artist.

Tim

> tim,
>      i almost agree...but don't think "product of his times"
> and "mainstream" quite accurate rendering
> ...better said his text is a product of his engage' posture
> vis a vis the global revolutionary crises of the 30's...it speaks that
> crises...a voice which needs to be heard,
> ...and which as logically  has to be neutered ("demonized")
> by the victor.
> anyway...admittedly itz not brecht...perhaps had he stayed in merka
> ...but still, his ideological confession and praxis, for all its warts,
> exceeds boojwa lib by a damm quantum, no?
>
> bob

T.S.
> > Eliot called "the greatest prose writer of my generation"-- and when I
did
> > learn about Lewis, it was impossible to find copies of his many works
> > anywhere; in some instances, the works had been removed from the
shelves.
> > happen to know that rare scientific works on eugenics are being removed
> from
> > the shelves of a major university to be stored offsite, not in a special
> > archive, but in an area devoted to superseded or discredited volumes
which
> > are destined eventually for the incinerator, while the pulp fiction
> section
> > is growing larger. There's a painting by Augustus John of the South
> African
> > poet Roy Campbell locked away in a basement in an art museum in
Pittsburgh