EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:02:37 -0400
Wei,
I no longer have to hand the broadcasts edited by Doob, but there you will
find _many_ passages to support the view that Pound's racism has a
"scientific" eugenist component to it --  ~the best science today is racial~
[I paraphrase since memory fails on the exact quotation].  He makes a number
of  references in the broadcasts to the need to preserve the race from the
downgrading of miscegenation, stating that the knowledge of animal breeding
needs to be applied to human society. By the time these ideas gets to Pound,
this "science" may be merely popular science. I cannot tell you what books
or articles, or what correspondence, Pound had been reading on the subject
of social engineering (though I suspect Jonathan Morse would probably have
this information).  It may turn out that Pound read some science on this
subject and also found many of his ideas texpressed in popularizations of
these principles.  Certainly they were commonplaces. But even if these
notions were no more than "broadly cultural" as you suggest, that only
underscores the point I was making. I did not set out to demonstrate a
clearly discernible paper trail, to establish "influence" to the
satisfaction of the literary historian, though that may indeed be possible
to do. My point was rather that Pound is not an aberration; and yet a
student today might easily get that impression from the manner in which
Pound is often written about.

To demonize Pound by linking him to the harsh political acts/sins against
mankind/atrocities/draconian measures (however one wishes to characterize
them) of the leaders, ancient and modern, whom Pound chooses to exalt for
some quality or qualities they possessed, gives the false impression that
Pound was not a product of his times; it suggests that his views were so
exterme that he was on the fringes. But these views were common, almost
"mainstream."  The record of these times has been distorted and purged.

Other artists have been long ignored, their works allowed to go out of print
or rot in basements. I spent 8 years studying literature, from the late '70s
through the mid '80s and did not see the name of the painter and
man-of-letters Wyndham Lewis mentioned even once in any course description,
or hear his name mentioned by any teacher or colleague --the man whom T.S.
Eliot called "the greatest prose writer of my generation"-- and when I did
learn about Lewis, it was impossible to find copies of his many works
anywhere; in some instances, the works had been removed from the shelves. I
happen to know that rare scientific works on eugenics are being removed from
the shelves of a major university to be stored offsite, not in a special
archive, but in an area devoted to superseded or discredited volumes which
are destined eventually for the incinerator, while the pulp fiction section
is growing larger. There's a painting by Augustus John of the South African
poet Roy Campbell locked away in a basement in an art museum in Pittsburgh
PA, where it has been out of sight for maybe 40 years. e.e. cumming's work
EIMI is also out of print.  Pound's translation of Moscardino is out of
print.

If I had the broadcasts to hand, I would cite the passage where Pound writes
that it does not matter what the artist believes he is making or doing; if
he sincerely reports what his eyes are observing, his works will reflect the
times.

Tim Romano