EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:16:49 -0400
Tim Romano writes:
> to do. My point was rather that Pound is not an aberration; and yet a
> student today might easily get that impression from the manner in which
> Pound is often written about.
>
> To demonize Pound by linking him to the harsh political acts/sins against
> mankind/atrocities/draconian measures (however one wishes to characterize
> them) of the leaders, ancient and modern, whom Pound chooses to exalt for
> some quality or qualities they possessed, gives the false impression that
> Pound was not a product of his times; it suggests that his views were so
> exterme that he was on the fringes. But these views were common, almost
> "mainstream."  The record of these times has been distorted and purged.

tim,
     i almost agree...but don't think "product of his times"
and "mainstream" quite accurate rendering
...better said his text is a product of his engage' posture
vis a vis the global revolutionary crises of the 30's...it speaks that
crises...a voice which needs to be heard,
...and which as logically  has to be neutered ("demonized")
by the victor.
anyway...admittedly itz not brecht...perhaps had he stayed in merka
...but still, his ideological confession and praxis, for all its warts,
exceeds boojwa lib by a damm quantum, no?

bob