UROCK Archives

Univ College Rockland Students

UROCK@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:24:43 -0500
Newsletter – December 13 | Rockland

Having trouble viewing this email? Click
here.<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news-events/newsletters/>

[image: Description: University College] <http://learn.maine.edu/>

*Rockland <http://learn.maine.edu/rockland>***

*Newsletter – December 13*

*Are you Registered for Spring Term?*

Many students may be procrastinating on signing up for classes. Right now
you can register for classes with no payment, or proof of financial aid.
That makes it easy! After January 5th, either money or proof of aid will be
needed. Save your seat in the classes you want and register asap!
Self-service is available in Maine Street!

*Onsite Courses of Special Interest for Spring*

Here are few to notice:

*ART 113: 3-D Design* – Popular instructor and artist, Brandon
Lutterman<http://bowdoinorient.com/article/5809>,
will be back to teach another section of 3-D Design in Rockland on Fridays
from 9 – 2:30. Lutterman and his former Rockland students created wonderful
mobiles that hung in our student lounge during the last class. And remember
Sierra’s fabulous newsprint ball gown? Brandon is fun and inspiring. If you
are not an art student, think of this as a wonderful general elective!

*ART 109: Photographic Vision and Digital Discovery* – Dee Peppe will be
offering this one which counts as a “performing art” on Tuesday and
Thursday nights from 7:00 – 9:00PM. Learn great skills  to use every day as
a proficient photographer!

*BIO 114E – Principles of Evolution *(descriptive science) – “Ground
Breaking!” “Game Changing!” “Revolutionary!” With a scholarly history
spanning more than 2000 years, the theory of evolution continues to provide
a context for understanding the natural world. Evolutionary theory provides
us with another avenue of insight into why humans behave as we do, get ill
the way we do, and respond to change the way we do. Recent findings in the
molecular biology of evolution are transforming our understanding of
diversity, change, and adaptation. Modern application of evolutionary
theory has expanded into medicine, agriculture, archaeology, forensics,
conservation biology, marketing, psychology, and even computer programming!
Email instructor Phil Gerard <[log in to unmask]> with questions.

*CIS 240: Networking Concepts* – Faculty member, Mark Goodridge, provides
an introduction to telecommunications and networking. Topics include:
equipment and protocols, network architecture, public and local networks
and data security. These are great skills for any computer students.

*Book Buy Back*

Mark your calendars for book buy back on *Thursday, December 20th from 3:30
– 6:30PM *outside room #413.

*Proctored Test Times For End of Term*

During finals week, Dec 17 – 21, URock’s proctored test times will be
Tuesday at 8:00AM or Friday at 4:00PM. We will also have one additional
scheduled test time on Thursday, December 27 from 9AM – noon.* You must
call the URock office to schedule your test so that we have it ready for
you.** *In some cases you will also need an email permission from your
faculty member so please get that ahead of time. Also, remember that a
photo ID is required in order for you to take a test.

*Food for Finals*

Thanks to the URock Student Association, there will be a combination of
pizza, sandwich wraps and veggie platters. Stay fortified through exams.

*URock’s Holiday Schedule*

We will be closed Monday, December 24 and Tuesday, December 25 and Tuesday,
January 1. On other weekdays over the break the college will be open 8AM –
5:30PM. We wish you safe and happy holidays and a restful semester break.

*Toys for Tots! Please Contribute*

There is a collection bin in the student lounge for *Toys for
Tots*contributions. Please consider donating a new but unwrapped toy
to a child.
Thanks in advance for your generosity.

*New URock Apparel Just Arrived!*

We have just received a shipment of new URock sweatshirts! There’s lots of
new colors and designs. Great holiday gifts!

*View Our Latest Videos on You Tube*

Check out some new videos on the URock YouTube
Channel<http://www.youtube.com/user/URockMaine>
.

*Visit URock on Facebook!*

[image: Description:
http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/wp-content/themes/uc-main/images/newsletter/shadow.gif]

Latest News & Events

*Complete Your Degree Right
Here!<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/plan-join-fall-term/>
***

Check out the latest URock Newsletter for information on all types of URock
activities. More <http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/plan-join-fall-term/>

*Graduate Math Leadership Program Coming to
UROCK!<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/graduate-math-leadership-program-coming-urock/>
***

In collaboration with the University of Maine at Farmington, UROCK will be
offering a Four-Course Graduate Sequence Mathematics Leadership Program
starting Spring 2013. This program is perfect for educators
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/graduate-math-leadership-program-coming-urock/>

*URock Student Association
News<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-student-association-news/>
***

Coffee Cards: The URock SA is sponsoring free coffee through Jensen’s
Pharmacy for students and faculty. Stop at the URock front office to get
your coffee card. Fill up
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-student-association-news/>

*Response to Intervention (RTI)
Behavior<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/response-intervention-rti-behavior/>
***

USM’s Response to Intervention (RTI) Behavior Graduate Certificate Program
will be offered via video conferencing at University College at Rockland
beginning this fall. About the RTI Certificate Program The
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/response-intervention-rti-behavior/>

*UROCK Students Showcased in Courier Publications, “The
Scene”<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-students-showcased-scene-2/>
***

The August 2012 issue of the Courier Gazette’s magazine, The Scene,
features two UROCK student profiles written by other URock students in
Garrett Vail’s ENG 317W class. Check out
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-students-showcased-scene-2/>

© University College. All rights reserved.
91 Camden Street | Rockland, ME 04841
(207) 596-6906 | Fax: (207) 594-2938