UMS-FACULTY Archives

All faculty

UMS-FACULTY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 15:13:15 -0500
To:  All University of Maine System Faculty

Since arriving in Maine about 2.5 months ago, a fair portion of my time has
been dedicated to visiting an array of constituencies on all UMS campuses
in an attempt to thoroughly understand the needs, cultures,
accomplishments, and opportunities unique to each of the seven
universities.  During those visits, the hospitality extended to me has been
most gracious, for which I am truly appreciative.  Already, I have
developed a deep respect for the people and cultures on each campus, and a
fondness for the overall scenic beauty of Maine.

In consultation with the Chief Academic Officers (CAOs), and more generally
the Presidents, I wanted to provide some food-for-thought about Academic
Transformation and this year’s work regarding Program Integration, the
latter of which includes the announcement of a funding initiative, entitled
the Program Innovation Fund, to support program development.

            *Academic Transformation* – frankly, the concept of Academic
Transformation (AT) is still evolving in my own mind as I read and engage
with faculty and administrative colleagues.  Dr. Ellen Chaffee identified
three components to AT:  program integration, portfolio review and mission
differentiation.  Of these, program integration seems to have received more
attention over the last two years.  From my early conversations, I also
would have to include in AT other items related to:  instructional delivery
(particularly regarding “Unified Online”), student success initiatives to
maximize degree completion, and the need to develop sophisticated
capabilities to provide data, models and predictive analytics to all
academic operations across the UMS – the need for UMS data extends beyond
academics.  Each of these topics are inherently complex, and our shared
concept of AT will likely morph as discussions continue.  Thus, it would be
the height of arrogance after only slightly more than two months here for
me to conclude with any certainty about how AT might be realized within the
UMS.  What I can say with great certainty, however, is that we will explore
these topics in depth across the UMS campuses with the intent of: (a)
developing ultimately a shared understanding of AT; (b) using AT to make
meaningful progress for the benefit of our students, state and system, and
(c) paying attention to the tenets of shared governance and engagement
through appropriate channels, including respect for the lines of academic
structure on each campus.

            *Program Integration* – Attached is a two-page overview
document, in which some basic information is provided about Program
Integration (PI), including potential benefits, as well as the PI plans for
this year.  With regard to potential benefits, the reasons, as listed, for
considering targeted integration are wide-ranging; and, as such,
undoubtedly will vary from discipline to discipline according to the
program integration goals under discussion in each PI team.  Thus, I will
work with each team to also understand and articulate the underlying
rationale for any of their efforts.

A two-fold strategy will be used this academic year to guide PI.  First,
the detailed recommendations from Rounds 1 and 2 will continue to be
explored, but with a more focused effort on a few goals and more attention
to faculty leadership – communication has already started with most team
leaders and/or teams.  Second, a Program Innovation Fund is being launched
to allow faculty the opportunity to propose unique programmatic
possibilities.

            *Program Innovation Fund* – The entire UMS leadership team is
pleased to collaborate with the CAOs on the implementation of the new
Program Innovation Fund, as an additional means to complement the continued
discussions from Rounds 1 & 2 of PI.  The CAOs will share soon the
guidelines for this funding, and any other pertinent information from their
campus perspectives.  In general, however, the intent is to provide a
funding mechanism by which faculty can propose and explore new programming
opportunities that address areas important to the UMS, including
collaboration, enrollment growth, graduate program development, innovation,
use of technology, and programs that pertain to Maine economic needs.
Short proposals will be due in mid-March.

In closing, please know that I am now beginning a round of visits with
Faculty Senates and Assemblies on each campus at the joint invitation of
the CAOs and Senate/Assembly leaders.  During those visits, I look forward
to listening to your, or your representative’s, thoughts and questions on
any of the items I have shared today, as well as any other areas of faculty
interest.

Sincerely,

Bob Neely

--
Robert Neely, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Maine System

Phone: 207.581.5843
Email: [log in to unmask]