MSG-NEWSLETTER Archives

Maine Sea Grant Newsletter

MSG-NEWSLETTER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Catherine Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maine Sea Grant Newsletter <[log in to unmask]>, Catherine Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 14:30:04 -0400
FYI, an upcoming seminar that may be of interest:

Monday, April 13, 2015
Making Sense of Place in Maine: Sustainability Insights from the Humanities
Carol Toner, Maine Studies Director, UMaine
3 PM, 107 Norman Smith Hall

“In times of climate change and threats to our environment, the more we know about place the more we may empathize with the place and attempt to protect it.” - Yi Fu Tuan

What do we mean by a sense of place and why does it matter? How does place inform our understanding of Maine’s history and environment? This presentation explores place in Maine and finds that places have multiple voices and multiple meanings.
Drawing upon sources from literature, history, folklore, Native American studies, geography and other disciplines, this presentation considers how we might integrate a sense of place into teaching and studying Maine.

Carol Nordstrom Toner is Director of the Maine Studies Program and a research associate in History at the University of Maine where she earned her Ph.D. in history. Her research focuses on Maine labor history, immigration, and women’s history. She
is the author of “Persisting Traditions: Artisan Work and Culture in Bangor, Maine, 1820-1860”, and co-editor of “Somalis in Maine: Crossing Cultural Currents”.

Video conferencing is available. Please contact Carol Hamel ([ mailto:[log in to unmask] ][log in to unmask]) for more information.

http://umaine.edu/mitchellcenter/event/seminar-carol-toner/

###