MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Eric Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:07:08 -0500
Good Afternoon Folks!

I hope you all are doing well. I know I am still reeling from seeing so
many of you wonderful people last month at the annual conference.

Unfortunately, I must get back to my regularly scheduled programming and
report to you about current governmental affairs. I say, 'unfortunately,'
not for any lack of desire to follow and report the news, but because the
news is not always optimism-inducing or uplifting. However, I have hope
that with all of you passionate, talented people we can work together to
stave off any threats to our programs and our students!

So, getting to yesterday's FY 2021 budget proposal announcement, it is
imperative that we remember that the budget has neither approved by the
appropriate individuals, nor is it the final draft. Congress controls the
federal spending levels each year and the President's proposal is just
that: a proposal. This is the bright side. This gives us the time and
opportunity to reach out to our Members of Congress, Chellie Pingree and
Jared Golden, and inform them how TRIO has impacted students and families
in your communities.

As far as the language for the proposal is concerned, the most important
pieces in regards to TRIO are as follows:

-U.S. Department of Education program funding cut by $5.6 billion or 8%
-U.S. Department of Education's plan would consolidate TRIO into a single,
state block grant program and cut overall funding for the programs by $140
million or 13%. A block grant is supported by federal funds but
administered by state or local governments.

-This proposal would add an additional tightening of funds available for
TRIO by consolidating with Gear Up and CAMP (College Access Migrant
Program), which are currently funded at $365 million and $45.6 million,
respectively.

The main things you can do would be to contact or meet face-to-face with
your elected officials to stress the importance of our programs and how
detrimental these budget cuts would be. Below you will find the contact
information for the offices of Chellie Pingree and Jared Golden:

*Congresswoman Chellie Pingree*                   *Congressman Jared Golden*
DC Office: (202) 225-6116                             DC Office: (202)
225-6306
Maine Office: (207) 774-5019                        Maine Office: (207)
249-7400

Please, never hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns. I will
try to keep you all updated as I receive any further information!

Have a wonderful rest of your day,

Eric
--
*Eric Pratt*
Pronouns: He|Him|His

Academic Counselor
MEEOA Government Relations Chair
Upward Bound | University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
C: 207.314.5499 | W: 207.778.7279
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667