MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mary Kate Barbosa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:17:38 -0400
Hello, MEEOA Professionals,
I hope you have had time to watch Senator Collins present her bill today or
read her press release or both.  Senator Collins' office worked closely
with the Council for Opportunity in Education(COE) to craft this bill which
proposes changes for TRIO to prevent future grants from being defunded for
formatting issues rather than content and will streamline and align across
federal programs the qualifying factors in determining  low-income
eligibility.  COE has worked with Collins' office on all of the items
mentioned in this bill which have directly affected Maine TRIO programs,
and they multiply those efforts by providing the same advocacy for at-risk
students with elected officials across the country.  With MEEOA membership
directly benefiting from their work- specifically today's announcement and
Maine's UB grants that were saved with COE's advocacy work with Maine's
delegation and in Washington, the MEEOA board has elected again this year
to send an additional $4000 to COE as part of our fair share contribution;
this is a total contribution of $5000.  Please recall that fair share
contributions make up approximately half of COE's annual budget and,
unencumbered, are used to  pursue "advocacy, professional development,
research, and information that is all focused on helping disadvantaged
students enroll in and complete postsecondary education."   It is
important, as Eric Pratt stated in his email, that TRIO professionals reach
out to Senator Collins' office to thank her for authoring the bill she
presented today, and it is also important that we thank COE for advocating
for us in Washington and inviting us to Policy each year so that we can
advocate with them for our programs and our students.
Have a great evening.
Mary Kate

Mary Kate Barbosa

Director, Student Support Services

University of Maine at Presque Isle

181 Main Street

Presque Isle, Maine 04769

Office:  (207)768-9613
Fax:        (207) 768-9617

*Input, Intellection, Relator, Achiever, Arranger*

*Pronouns:  She, her, hers*

*Pl**ease note my NEW e-mail address at [log in to unmask]