MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Steve Visco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:15:38 -0400
Hello MEEOA!

We are still working on putting together our Slate for next year's
officers. The elected positions on that slate will include President-Elect,
Secretary, and Treasurer. We currently have candidates for Secretary and
Treasurer, but are still looking for someone to run for President-Elect.

Why should you consider running for President-Elect? Personally, I feel
there were quite a few benefits for serving on this board.

1. Great people. Working with the MEEOA board is working with a great crew
of people who are focused on the students served by GEARUP and TRIO.
Without fail, I have found myself making friends all over the state and
region, which may be why our conferences can feel more like a reunion than
a conference!

2. Professional Development - Serving on the MEEOA and NEOA boards allows
you to stretch in ways that your job may not. For me, in my job I do not do
Government Relations or work with budgets. In serving on the MEEOA and
NEOA, I have been able to do both.

3. Time commitment - There is a time commitment on the board, but it may be
less than you think there is. Most MEEOA meetings are held virtually
(especially this year!) In recent years, the June and August meetings have
been held in Bangor. There is also Policy Seminar in March. The MEEOA
President and Past-President also serve on the NEOA board, which
traditionally meets in person 5 times throughout the year. While this may
seem like a lot, it really doesn't feel that way most of the time!

4. COE Executive Leadership Training - The MEEOA President-Elect year is a
year that is designed to be a learning year. In recent years, that has
included attendance in the COE Executive Leadership. I was able to attend
the one that was held at Yale, and it was a truly great PD opportunity for
me. After the in person training, you are also matched with a small group
and a mentor, to work on a project. My mentor was COE Chair Sari Byerly,
and as you can imagine, this was also a great learning opportunity!

If you are interested, please let us know!

Steve

--
Steve Visco
Pronouns: he, him, his