MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Eric Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2019 18:51:48 -0400
Good Evening Folks,

I hope this message finds you well and off to a smooth start this Academic
Year. For those of you who may not know me, my name is Eric Pratt and I am
the MEEOA Government Relations Chair. I am writing to give a bit of an
update on recent government happenings. This notification will be slightly
focused on *SSS programs* and *new directors* and I will try to keep
everyone up to date in that realm as I learn anything new, as I am sure
people are concerned about the amount of information we know regarding the
upcoming grant competition.

   - Last week, the Senate Appropriations Committee released its Labor
   Health and Human Services and Education (LHHS) Appropriations bill, level
   funding TRIO at $1.06 Billion. This comes as no surprise, as this has
   occurred in years prior. Most importantly, the language in this bill states
   that the "Committee does not support the FY2020 budget proposal to
   transform TRIO into a single State formula grant." This is great news! The
   bill also directs the Department of Ed to move any unused monies in TRIO
   toward providing inflationary increases in existing awards and increasing
   the number and size of the grants awarded in the upcoming SSS grant
   competition.

   - The outlook on the bill is unclear. However, the House of
      Representatives passed a continuing resolution (CR) to flat fund all
      government programs through November 21, in order to buy more time or to
      determine differences in their respective funding bills. Senate
is expected
      to approve this, this week.

   - The Senate's action on the LHHS allows the Department of Ed to *move
      forward with the SSS grant competition*. The Department expects *to
      release the final application in late October or early November*. COE
      hopes to release details soon regarding the third proposal writing
      workshop.

   - The Department of Ed is currently accepting comments on draft APRs for
   UB/UBMS and McNair. These comments are due by October 1.

   - Lastly, I would just like to call some attention to some online
   trainings coming up for new directors. The board recognizes that we have a
   handful of new directors of programs this year in Maine, taking on already
   established programs around the state. We welcome you and are here to
   support you on this new endeavor! COE has shared information on a course
   that could be worth your while so I will paste the information about it and
   how to register below! Never hesitate to reach out if you need anything at
   all from us as a board!

   - "*October 14-23 How to Be a New Director in an Established Program -
      New Directors in a Program that has at least been in existence
since 2008.*

This course considers what elements new directors should examine in leading
an already established project. Over the course of the ten days, program
directors will examine the governing documents that guide your program,
understanding the goals of your program and services written by your agency
to complete and methods to engage both internal and external program
stakeholders*."*

For more information or to register, click here
<http://t.congressweb.com/l/?OLWETBVAVSWFQZR>.

As always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions,
concerns, or comments for me here in the Government Relations Department!

Be well,

Eric
--
*Eric Pratt*
Pronouns: He|Him|His

Academic Counselor
MEEOA Government Relations Chair
Upward Bound | University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
C: 207.314.5499 | W: 207.778.7279
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667